Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

"Em Says..." Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

"Em Says..." will be a new addition to my blog.  Emily is a very good friend of mine and will be periodically contributing as a guest reviewer.  She's smart, witty, funny, pretty and a fantastic wife, mom and friend.  She and I share a lot of the same tastes in literature, and I trust her to be brutally honest about what she reads and reviews.

A Goodreads Summary:



No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.
But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


My Thoughts:

The first thing I noticed about Pushing the Limits was that there were 58! chapters. Not to worry, with the point of view change that came with each chapter this was an easy read and I found myself finishing the book in a day. Getting inside both our lead characters’ heads was important and enjoyable. Echo and Noah are two very different people and it was lovely to see both perspectives as their relationship developed.

Echo Emerson has been through hell and back but has no recollection of the day that completely changed her life. We meet Echo as she begins the last half of her senior year in high school by attending an appointment with the school’s new clinical social worker, Mrs. Collins.  As she struggles to reclaim her “normal” by reconnecting with friends, she begins a journey that leads her to places she hadn’t intended – one of those places being in the sights of Noah Hutchins.

Speaking of our hero, Noah has had a rough life as well. He’s an orphan who has been labeled a troublemaker by the foster care system. It seems at first that his life goal is to live up to the labels assigned to him by people who barely know anything about him and trust me when I say those labels won’t help him aspire to be or do much. But underneath that initial layer is a complex young man who wants his family back. Noah is also assigned to work with Mrs. Collins and her relationship with both students was integral to the growth of both characters that we get to witness throughout the story. Noah and Echo are paired up for tutoring by Mrs. Collins and their relationship begins.

One of the things I think Katie McGarry does very well in this book is develop a realistic high school environment. The characters, both main and secondary, were well-developed and multi-dimensional. There are layers to the story and the world that McGarry built. Echo has Lila, her BFF; her father; and her babysitter turned step-mother Ashley, in addition to her sometime friends who haven’t quite figured out how to treat Echo since the unknown event two years prior. Noah has Beth and Isaiah. Both have Mrs. Collins who quickly became my favorite secondary character. She seemed genuinely interested in helping her students and, unlike so many in their lives, didn’t give up at the first sign of push back.

As Echo and Noah get to know each other, there were moments I swooned, moments I cringed, and moments I was blown away by their perceptiveness.

“Her eyes met mine again. “So what does this mean for us?”
I lowered my forehead to hers. “It means you’re mine.”


Yes, really, every single time I read that line I squee a little bit.

“Liar," she spat. "Because the only way anyone will ever be okay with me is if they love me. Really love me enought to not care that I'm damaged. You don't love people. You have sex with them. So how could you want to be with me?”

I loved that Echo really did stand up for herself to Noah even though she wasn’t able to do that with everyone in her life.

“Normal. She wanted normal and so did I.”

I thought a major theme from the book was finding normal and accepting that it may not be what you thought when you set out on your search.

The last thing I’ll say is Echo and Noah made me laugh quite a bit with their thoughts. While there is some serious stuff going on throughout the book, it was fun being inside their heads for a bit. I mean, how awesome is it that Echo can compare a case of the butterflies she once had to the now insane dinosaurs residing in her belly when she sees Noah?

“Luke used to give me butterflies. Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls.”

I highly recommend Pushing the Limits. It is, in my opinion, a perfect YA contemporary. I’m not big on giving 5 stars but in this case, I can’t help it. (I think what pushed me over is that Noah calls Echo baby, which normally isn’t my favorite thing but in here was super cute.)

Warning… Book contains language and adult situations.

Note from Deborah:  I've read this book also and agree with everything above.  I'll be posting a review for the sequel, Dare You To, in the next few days.

No comments: